Saturday 20 March 2010

Hot Cross Buns (Two weeks to go)

Good Friday is not far away and as usual my mind turns to something else I can eat. Hot Cross Buns, now there’s a thought. Hot and dripping in butter and honey; lent’s over and we can tuck in. Actually I never believe in fasting, and look forward to the chocolate eggs as well!

The bun must be crossed on the top with either pastry or flour and water mix. In England we like plenty of raisins and currants in the bun mix, and it should be leavened with yeast; in America they like to add some candied citron. And would you believe it, the Australians and New Zealanders can’t wait a couple of days for the chocolate eggs, and have started putting chocolate in the buns! Now there’s a thought – mmm.

So when did they originate? Crossed buns were eaten by the Saxons in honour of the goddess Eostre and symbolised the four quarters of the moon. Which is probably where the word Easter was derived from, Easter being almost the same as Eostre?

Christian countries traditionally eat them on Good Friday, the cross being a symbol of Jesus’ crucifixion. But Hot Cross Buns seemed to originate from the mid eighteenth century, sensible people. I might be the one who thought of butter and honey, I’ve always had a sweet tooth and honey is my favourite sweetener. Comes of having been a bee keeper I suppose.

Protestant England in the time of Queen Elizabeth tried to ban their sale as they were believed to take the place of communion wafers, as they were made from dough. They failed and settled for them only being baked at Easter and Christmas.

You should share a bun with your friends to make sure you remain friends for the coming year, and you should say ‘Half for you and half for me, and then between us goodwill will be.’ Bit of nonsense really, but at least you get another half of a Hot Cross Bun, honey might be a bit runny though. Still if it’s a loved one you can lick each other’s fingers.

So that’s it for Hot Cross Buns.

Tomorrow I shall blog about Venice Italy, back on my travels again!

2 comments:

  1. I'm supposed to wait until Good Friday to eat them?
    I saw some in the store yesterday (with the cross in white icing, as I've always seen it) and wanted them. Oh, I wanted them. Didn't buy them, though. Must have been some ancient instinct teling me, "Not yet."

    Thanks for coming by and commenting. I'm glad you nudged me; yours is a fascinating blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tried hot cross buns once as a child and remember them to be cold, a bit stale, with citron, yes - but definitely uninteresting! that's the last bun that crossed these lips! but yours sound fantastic - sweet, doughy, honey-ladened and - oh my goodness - hot! two weeks to go until easter and i shall make it my mission - nay, my quest, to find the hot crossed buns of which you write. thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete